Thursday, February 3, 2011

Flucation = Way better than Snow Days

Oh Flucation, the sweetest of all the school holidays. Growing up, I was regarded snow days as the highlight of winter. Day off? For sure! Who cares that you have to make it up in June. 2 hour delay? Count me in. My AP classes were always the ones I missed. These are nothing compared with the glorious joys of FLUCATION! Comparing a snow day to a day off on flucation is like comparing apples and a steak dinner at the Palm. The reason? The weather. Snow days mean snow. Cold, unpleasant snow. I hate snow. Yes, snow is very pretty. I also think volcanoes erupting are pretty. That doesn’t mean I want to be anywhere near either of them. Flucation isn’t fettered by dismal weather. It is a beautiful sunny day off today. Not a cloud in the sky. Thank you Flucation

So what caused this miraculous of events? Cosmic rays? A boon from the lords of Olympus? Nope, just as you guessed, the common flu. Apparently flu shots are not the de rigueur in Bulgaria so every year there is a massive outbreak. Like, really massive. Over 30% of my school was ill. It shut down everything in town. So that left me with loads of free time. Wrote some grants, planned some awesome lessons, studied BG a bit, and most importantly, watched a lot of movies. Umm… so maybe not most importantly. But regardless, it was an amazing vacation.

The best part? These days don’t have to be made up. School is out, no matter what!

I can only wait till next year. In the mean time, I’m taking the soap out of my classroom. Might as well help the odds, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment