Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Just a thought

Though I doubt I will keep this rather impressive string of blog posts I figure I might as well throw a few out there before I get distracted by something shiny or bits of sting or whatever might hold my attention for hours at a time. This one happens to be on the weather. I know, talking about the weather. I used to find it one of the most mundane of topics. A filler, if you will, for when you’re not sure what to say but feel that the conversation hasn’t reached the breaking off point. However, having almost outgrown the childhood weather classification of two categories (A. It’s nice to play outside, and B. It isn’t,) now care to talk to people about the weather. So is new found well of untapped maturity the reason for this random tangent, you ask? Nope. It is because of the huge difference right now between the weather in Bulgaria and America.

My parents sent me pictures from an ice storm that happened the same week that I wore shorts running and sat and read in the park. It is just amazing the difference. People were shoveling snow and I was working on my tan (slow and steady, you know. Best to start now.) I was worried about winter here. As you may have gathered, it is my least favorite season and the winter in Bulgaria had me pretty apprehensive. Particularly the story from my friend Neil, a b24, about how despite having a heater going full blast around the clock he had ice almost an inch thick on the inside walls of his kitchen. Umm… What? Then getting to site I hear about the meter of snow on the side walk last year. I am 1.75 meters. Waist high you say? Buses and Trains didn’t run for a week? I’m going to have to pass.

And you know what? It worked. This winter has been pretty great. A little cold early off and a few snow storms I could have done without, but honestly, pretty all right. The culmination of this winter weather? 67 and sunny on February 8th. I spent a good deal of the afternoon sitting in the sun doing lesson plans and a whole lot of nothing. It was glorious. The next 4 days the highs are all above 60. For the beginning of February that is fantastic. If you could show me conclusive proof that this is due to global warming I would be building a bonfire of tires and gas and using cfc aerosols to start it.

So before the Frost giants descend upon this Valhalla of nice weather (I’m reading a book about mythology, sue me) I make this plea: Don’t let this be the precursor to that meter of snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment