Wednesday, May 12, 2010

FIRST POST!!!

Wow. So I made it. Bulgaria.
So many good things and, naturally, a few that really suck.
We all met on Monday in Philly (which was so nice since everyone in the US flew to my city). After 7 hours of meetings we went out in the city for mexican at el fez and then bars with Justin. The next morning I woke up at 5 am and was terrified of oversleeping, despite the wake up call and alarm, and way too excited to sleep. So, from there we had the disaster of loading everyone on to the buses to JFK. At JFK I was told that I would have to check my carry-on duffle and that it would be an extra 200. Well, crap. After argueing with the guy at the counter I got the fee waived. From JFK to Munich and then to Sofia I cannot say enough good things about Lufthansa. Good food, decent seats (I had the middle on the long leg), and absolutely gorgeous stewardesses. Seriously, they were all 9s or above.
Once in Sofia things hit their first snag. We overloaded the plane (see above) and about half of the bags did not arrive. So no big deal, they will be there tomorrow and someone from peace corps will collect it. So then we boarded another bus to take us to the mountain resort (I use that term loosely, but it is still decent). 2 hour drive south to we went from flat, to small hills, to some decent mtns, then to the huge monsters that we are on now. It was beautiful on the drive, but just off the road you could see the poverty of the region.
So the bad news, at some point after filing a claim on the missing luggage and the hotel my passport went missing. Super pissed to say the least. For now they are telling me to hang tight and wait while they check the bus and everywhere. :( I may get to have a fun trip to Sofia on Saturday.
Otherwise I am meeting a ton of really cool people and having a blast. Will update some more this week and keep everyone up to date. However, I am crashing after a day without sleep.
Leka nosht (Good Night)

No comments:

Post a Comment