Monday, May 24, 2010

Graduation and Prom... What was that?!?!?!

So Friday, Marusia (aka the nicest person ever) the english teacher invited us to graduation on Friday. It was supposed to start at 9 or so, but didn't get rolling till like 10 in normal Bulgarian fashion. The beginning of the, for lack of a better word, ceremony was outside with most of the underclassmen in attendance. They did the normal awards and whatnot. Then as that was wrapping up the 11th grade went downstairs to the basement to prepare for the rest of the ceremony. Being the guests of honor we were the first down the stairs. The first thing that hit me was the bumping techno blasting up the stairs. We head downstairs of a soviet era high school to find a scene that would not be out of place in a Vegas nightclub. The 11th grade girls were dancing on tables along the wall with the cheerleaders on both sides. After that there were a bunch of skits, the highlights being a video of the kids pretending to be drunk and getting a prostitute, 2 guys doing a "Full Monty" routine, and a lot that I really didn't understand but were hilarious anyways. Oh, and like at all good graduations, a guy getting a tag team lap dance. Yeaaaah, it wasn't the Pomp and Circumstance I was used to.
That night I went to a graduation party for one of the girls, Mila. I sat at the kids table directly across and next to the students I will be teaching on Weds. Awkward much? That didn't stop them from slamming some beers. These things will happen. That whole night was like nothing I have ever expereienced. The savior of the night was an adorible little girl that spoke really great english and helped translate for me. Towards the end of the night I was introduced to the gold medal winner in deadlift from one of the 1980 games. He was just a massive human being, but a really sweet guy. He also drank most of a beer while holding me in a headlock. Hilarious.
So that brings us to Saturday. Prom. I was orginally supposed to actually go to prom with Mila, but thankfully that got changed around. (A note on the schools: They start 1st grade at 7-8 so they are 19-20 at graduation). I was having a beer with Neal when the other high school in the town had theirs so I was a little more prepared then the rest after seeing the white pleather and irradenscent suits of that group. The outfits on the guys were like if you mixed the guido jersey fashion with what you thought was awesome in the 7th grade. It was amazing. The girls were dressed like they were going clubbing. And for a class of about 40, almost all the girls were gorgous. I mean, 9s or higher. I kinda understand the whole 1 in 10 PCV come back married after that. So the prom only started at like 9 so we ordered our salads. That was the only thing we got to eat that night. The 4 hour dinners here are an understatement. We left at 1am and people still weren't done. I also found out I am not a fan of the bulgarian pop music. It doesn't have a normal beat so I always feel uncomfortable dancing. So after a few rounds of beer and dancing some of the PCVs were tired and I walked them home and then we went to the disco.
Niq, Drew's host sister, and her friends met Drew, Kerri and I there. Again, beautiful. So after another 2 hours of techno we called it a night. One of the most sureal weekends I have had.

P.S. If there are spelling and or grammer mistakes please forgive me. I am typing all these on my host family's computer and bulgarian spell check really doesn't help all that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment